So hey I have been watching the show with that Carson fellow from Queer Eye, he is a hoot, I love him! It's called "How To Look Good Naked". They take people that are unhappy with their bodies and basically make them feel good about their bodies and to see the postive things they have right now. I love this show. Now I mean I would not be over joyed to do a photo shoot naked... not so much. But the whole how we view ourselves and how others view us is eye opening. They take this photo of these women they only show the bodies no head shots & put it on this buidling like a huge bill board, all lit up and all. Then they ask passer byers to rate the body. Most regular people, thin, fat, women, men make comments that you wouldn't expect. It is an excercise to help these women to realize that their bodies are not as hidious as they thought. It got me thinking, you know in this day & age so much impact is placed on our body image. It is basically all you see on magazines, in t.v. I tell you for every t.v. ad about some different type of weight loss program or weight loss pill they offered if they replaced those with some fill good, how to make the world a better place add I wonder.... Anyways after watching a few of these shows I realized, yes I am over weight, more importantly then my size & weight amount I am not heathly.I need to change some things for sure to address a more healthy life style. That seems to be more of a concern to me then my weight #. But you know what... I am a beautiful person. My attirubutes are good from the inside first. I figure you know this life time is spent by many if not all on the obsessing of losing weight. I have to lose just 50 pds, or 25 pds, or 15 pds, or even 5 pds. People spend so much energy & thought & the majority of their moments thinking about the fact that they are not happy with their bodies. Even the thin people do it. They can even find something to hate about their bodies. What kind of sick crazy world do we live in that does this to people??? TELL ME, really really is this what we should be focusing on??? I am just sick to death of it.
So here is my thought... what if we could secretly brain wash the world to rethink their thinking. What if the measure of how great a person is would be the amount they weighed??? Who would be on top then? Who would be more sought after, who would be the one that everyone would strive to be like??? That is right, the whole world would have shifted... being over weight would be the in thing.
Better yet what is we could brain wash the whole world into really truly believing that the measure of a pesons greatness is really just them. Hmmm.... can you even imagine that... just people being people, who they are & who they were meant to be.
So I am going to try, really try to measure myself by who I am inside. I am a pretty darn terrific person. Now I know that my butt is too big, my stomach has a little too much flab, my thighs rub together & the friction they create is enough to power a city, I don't really love my nose, my cankles kill me.... you see where I am going with this, the list could go on & on forever. But aside from all of that... I am a good person, I am funny, whitty, kind, generous, hard working, grounded, & I love this life. I am a good person & I know it. I am going to try & be a little kinder to myself, and stop beating myself up about these worldly body stereotypes that have been placed on all of us generation after generation. It is just sick that someone else can dictate your worth. You know what God doesn't see my imperfections, bc to him I have no imperfections. I am perfect, bc that is the way he created me. So hey if it's good enough for him, then well you know what I mean.
That is all I have to say on that... well for now anyways, until tomorrow & I find another thing to freak out about... C-ya!



4 comments:
YOU ARE RIGHT!!! Imagine what we could do if we took the time we spend hating ourselves, and put that time towards service for others!!! LOL!! We really need to LOVE OURSELVES. I really appreciate this blog Mare. You are amazing, and you are the most beautiful person I know. Thank you for being such a great big sister. Everything you said in this blog is SO true...I am right there with you!!!!
Hey, this is so interesting, I am just re-entering this world with my "tweens" and it is killing me! It's one of those things that makes you want to scream and yet how do we change it? I feel like I tried to be very neutral at my house about the body image thing but my 8 year old is starting in with "I'm fat!" Ahhhhhh! It makes me crazy!
This whole issue is one of the reasons I went off sugar, I wanted to make a healthy change but without the whole 'diet' thing. If I have an 8 year old that claims to be on diet I'll freak!
Anyway-it's a good topic to get out in the open. I feel like half the problem is that on one is really talking about it in an open forum. Good blog topic, love it.
Marianne, this post made me cry. This is such a burden we and our society places on us and we do have to rethink this stuff everyday! I agree with what both Jen and Deanna have said too. I think we all hold it way to close to our hearts and carry the burden of it alone. I know that when I look at the people I love that are overweight I do not see them that way. But I feel everyone sees me that way. It is crazy. We have to be kinder to ourselves and strive to make the little changes. Let health be our motivation not trying to be something different all the time. Our drive to perfection and loss of patience with ourselves get lots of us into trouble, especially women. I just want us all to be healthy and happy and know that we are loved. Is that asking too much in this crazy world that stresses us out about so many other things?
love the blog Mare. You got me thinking - check out my new blog...I'm jumping into the blogosphere! http://lanettept.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment