Tuesday, October 21, 2008

PROP 8, GETTING INVOLVED!!

Well yesterday as a family (- Kev he had to umpire) we went out sign waving in support of Prop 8. We were out for a little over an hour at busy commute time on a busy intersection. I including my children bc I feel it's important for them to experience standing up for what you believe. Even if it's not the easiest thing to do. When I told the kids that we were going to this the night before, I was met with some worry. Kyle said he was afraid that we would get shot. I told him that I felt sure that we would not be harmed (at least not physically). I told him that we were following the prophet & our church leaders, and most importantly standing up for what we believe.

So last night we did just that, stood out in public for what we beleive. This is America, the land of the free, free to think, do & live what you believe. Without fear from persicution. I was saddened but not broken by the horrible way others express their beliefs to those whose beleifs are different then theirs. We were not being rude, or ugly, or nasty, or discrimative to anyone. We were justy standing there holding signs trying to make others aware of this most crucial turning point in the history of the world. We would be fools to not stand up for this, for it is what we believe.

These are a few of the things we experienced last night: (remember that my children were present)

One woman waiting for the light to turn, was screaming to us saying BIGOTS, BURN IN HELL FOR YOUR HATRED, YOU WILL BURN IN HELL FOR THE HATRED YOU HAVE. NASTY BIGOTS!!! Right in the face of my children.

Another car drove by, slowly & sprayed my daughter with silly string. The people in the front of the car were thumbs down, and the ones in the back were thumbs up. I think they were just being silly kids.

A group of 4 young men, walked right in front of us holding hands. They also I think were just trying to be silly & that was fairly harmless.

We got many many happy fingers telling us we were #1!!! THANKS!!!

Part of our group had water bottles sprayed & thrown at them.

Then after we had been out there for a while, a few people gathered with homemade writing paper saying NO, then some came with the signs that you put in your yard saying No on Prop 8. They were harmless & just stood there doing the same thing that we were doing. Which I encourage, we ALL have the right to stand up for what we believe. If you can be civlized & stand next to me someone with a different view then you,, please you are more then welcome.

We had two very nasty women, well young women who drove by up & down the street many many times. They were screaming such disgusting horrible nasty things. They even at one point stopped their car right on the road to scream at us. I couldn't hold my tongue. I walked over to them to say SHAME ON YOU DISGUSTING THING, you feel that you have the right to verbally abuse me & my children. You think you are right to say those things infront of children. That shows just how nasty you really are. Of course that was just met with more nastiness. Some people are just down right dirty nasty creatures. The people that were holding the No signs agreed that it was a horrible thing to do.

One lady did stop for a minute to say how she thought it was great to see us standing there together with two different views, but ok with that.

As we were leaving there was a man who was obviously gay. He was screaming in our faces my children too & telling me what a horrible mother I am to be teaching my children hate. To tell them it's ok to hate other people. I had to stop to tell him that I didn't hate him nor did my children hate him. That me or my children don't hate people. That if he thought this was about HATE then he had no real idea what PROP 8 is about, none what so ever. And that obviously you won't even stop to learn what it is about. That you only see HATE. The Prop No people asked him to leave. He walked away continuing to spout off all the way down the road.

All in all we got way more support of Prop 8 then not. It's ok to have different views, to have beliefs that are not the same. We are all human, we are all different, we live in a country that allows us to speak freely about how we feel. In the end we are all children of our Heavenly Father. He does love all of us, even if while we are hear we are living in sin. I'm living proof of that, & I have felt the forgiveness & love of my father in Heaven.

I personally don't have any issues with gay people. I have many friends that choose that lifestyle. I also know many parents that are gay, and are raising amazing children, they are great parents. I agree that anyone that wants to be in a relationship & be commited to someone & love them should be able to be together. THEY HAVE THEIR FREE AGENCY TO WHAT THEY WANT. They deserve the same things we do, as far as insurance, wills, tax items, all of that. BUT, I do not believe that they should be allowed to be legally wed. It is not right, in any shape or form. That is what Prop 8 is about. Not taking away the rights of domestic partnership. Just not allowing them to be legally wed. That's it. Gay couples can not be legally married.

I just wish that people would understand we don't hate, we don't. I don't hate, I don't.

Anyways I just wanted to share our experience. We will be going out again to take advantage of our freedom to express our beliefs. If you want to join us please do, the next 2 Mondays same corner. Me & my kids & many others. May God bless this country, it surely needs it.

5 comments:

Lacy said...

Wow, Marianne, thank you for posting this! I was wondering how it had gone. We were in San Francisco meeting Matt's parents, but I bet I'll bet there next monday.

How sad that people have to stoop to such lows as yelling obsceneties in front of young kids. And even if they have no conscience at all to think anything wrong of it, you would think they would be smart enough to realize that it looks horrible for the No on 8 campaign to throw water bottles and yell stuff and steal signs and tailgate people with Yes bumper stickers. Seriously, Einstein, do you think that the fence-sitters are going to sway your way when they see that behavior?

I just wish people would realize that we are not haters or bigots, but that there are some serious issues at stake that affect everyone if this passes. I actually think they know very well we don't hate, this is just their way of getting their anger across. Such lovely citizens.

D and C said...

WOW Mare. I am so super proud to be your sister. YOu are an AMAZING mother, and you are AWESOME and STRONG to stand there and stand for what you believe in. Notice when we say STAND for what you believe in, we are not saying SIT for what you believe in. I think its so sad how divided this has made each side. That is right, its the most beautiful thing in this Country to STAND for what YOU personally believe in, even if others think it is wrong. YOU GO GIRL! You are my hero, and in the hearts of those people that disrespected you, lies a little respect FOR you. I LOVE YOU!

Lanette - Never Give Up! said...

I am so proud to know you!! Actions speak so loudly and you know the angels in heaven were cheering for you!! We have to exercise this right or we'll lose it! Wish I could be with you, I'm there in spirit but at WW in body.

Bonnie said...

I love you all for standing up for what we all believe. We are working tirelessly as a people for something that is so basic and so true. Remember the battles in the B of M..the Lord helps the righteous endeavors of those who love and serve him. Stand Tall and no matter what happens on November 4th you will be a winner!

Mark and Kiss said...

Oh, Mare, that must have been so hard to have people be gross in front of your children. I totally admire you for standing up for what you believe in and teaching your children to take an active part in it too, I can't imagine how difficult that must have been! Thank you for what you have done!

music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones